- This article expresses a pro-Islamic viewpoint.
Haraam (often Haram) is an Arabic term meaning "forbidden". In Islam it is used to refer to anything that is prohibited by the faith. Its antonym is halaal.
Islam and the consumption of pig meat (Pork)
Islam's stance - Allah says:
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
- He has only forbidden you carrion blood and pork and what has been consecrated to other than Allah. But anyone who is forced to eat, without desiring it or going to excess in it commits no crime. Allah is ever forgiving, most merciful
The medical aspects of the prohibition
Abstinence from the consumption of pork is a measure to safeguard health. Of all the domestic animals, the pig is the most avaricious, eating anything including human excreta. It is the cradle of harmful germs and parasites. Its meat is a carrier of disease to man, thus making it unfit for human consumption.
large numbers of antigens are introduced to the body of the pig. (Antigens are foreign substances that when introduced into body that can induce an immune response). The immune system normally makes protein called antibodies to protect the body. Eating a slice of pork containing antibodies of a certain microbe makes the body of the person who has eaten it weaker if substituted to this microbe, because his body has to build anti-antibodies. As a result this leads to a weak immune system.
It is found that people exposed to pork meat in their diet face the following negative conditions:
- Puts on excessive weight.
- Suffers physical deformity.
Pork meat also contains high levels of cholesterol and lipids.
The trichina worm is frequently found in pork. When it enters the human body it settles directly in the muscles of the heart and represents a possibly fatal threat. The trichinella spiralis, this parasite is transmitted to human muscle tissue by eating undercooked meats especially pork. The cysts hatch in the intestine and produce large numbers of larvae that migrate into the muscle tissue and cause: muscle pain, swelling in the face and around the eyes, headache, fever, sweating and chills
Complications: Arrhythmias - a disorder of heart rate or rhythm, Heart failure - a disorder of heart loses its ability to pump blood efficiently and Pneumonia
Carcinogenic nitrosamines are formed from the nitrites present in pork during the curing process of ham, bacon and sausages.
Allergy and liver cirrhosis are other diseases attributed to pork consumption.
- 1. Tuberculosis
- 2. Fusiformis necrofurus: causing foot-rot which is very difficult to heal.
- 3. Salmonella Cholera suis: causing cholera
- 4. Paratyphoid
- 5. Bruceellosis: Acute, sub acute and chronic. It may leadto permanent disabilities.
- 6. Swine Erysipelas: causing Erypelas in man.
- 1. Small pox: is was a source of infection to man.
- 2. Japanese B-encephalitis: It is the source of infection
- 3. Influenza, foot mouth disease, gastro-enteritis of newborns.
Protective Mechanism of Islam
Pork is an easy source of meat and pig's reproduce very quickly; thats why most non-Muslims prefer it. However, Islam has very sternly warned against consuming pork meat. Regardless of the medical reason, it is also done to keep a barrier between Muslim and non-Muslim culture, so that Muslims are not unduly influenced by their culture. It doesn't matter how close a friendship thre is betwen them - a Muslim is not allowed to eat at a non-Muslim's home because their utensils are used to hold haram meat. Islam has an inbuilt protective mechanism that protects it from breakdown - and maintains its true form.