Water in the Universe

From WikiIslam, the online resource on Islam
Jump to: navigation, search
This article expresses a pro-Islamic viewpoint.

The origin of water in the universe [1] [2] [3]

The Latest Discovery of Science is That, Astronomers Find Most Distant Water in the Universe Using the giant, 100-meter-diameter radio telescope in Effelsberg, Germany, [4] and the National Science Foundation's Very Large Array (VLA) in New Mexico, the scientists detected a telltale radio "fingerprint" of water molecules in the distant galaxy. Astronomers have found the most distant water yet seen in the Universe, in a galaxy more than 11 billion light-years from Earth.

Evidence in Quran

سُوۡرَةُ المؤمنون
بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ
(18) وَاَنۡزَلۡنَا مِنَ السَّمَآءِ مَآءًۢ بِقَدَرٍ فَاَسۡكَنّٰهُ فِىۡ الۡاَرۡضِ‌ۖ وَاِنَّا عَلٰى ذَهَابٍۢ بِهٖ لَقٰدِرُوۡنَ‌ۚ‏ 

(19) فَاَنۡشَاۡنَا لَـكُمۡ بِهٖ جَنّٰتٍ مِّنۡ نَّخِيۡلٍ وَّ اَعۡنَابٍ‌ۘ لَـكُمۡ فِيۡهَا فٰوكِهُ كَثِيۡرَةٌ وَّمِنۡهَا تَاۡكُلُوۡنَۙ‏

Al-Mumenoon - 23
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
And We send down water from the sky according to (due) measure, and We cause it to soak in the soil; and We certainly are able to drain it off (with ease).(18)

With it We grow for you gardens of date-palms and vines: in them have ye abundant fruits: and of them ye eat (and have enjoyment)― (19)

And We send down water from the sky according to (due) measure,

In this ayat it's explained that the water on Earth came from the sky, it also provides an explanation about the amount of water on Earth. It is explained that a specific amount of water was brought on Earth,any excess would have resulted in covering of all the Earth's surface with water. Any less and large areas would have become devoid of all life. Seen from space, our planet's surface appears to be dominated by the color blue. The Earth appears blue because large bodies of saline water known as the oceans dominate the surface. Oceans cover approximately 70.8% or 361 million square kilometers (139 million square miles) of Earth's surface with a volume of about 1,370 million cubic kilometers (329 million cubic miles). The average depth of these extensive bodies of seawater is about 3.8 kilometers (2.4 miles). Maximum depths can exceed 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) in a number of areas known as ocean trenches. The oceans contain 97% of our planet's available water. The other 3% is found in atmosphere, on the Earth's terrestrial surface, or in the Earth's lithosphere in various forms and stores.